Giacomo Puccini (1858–1924)
How to say the name:
‘Puccini’ is said like Poo-chee-knee. ‘Giacomo’ is said like ‘Jee-ah-ko-mo’.
22nd December 1858 in Lucca, Tuscany, Italy.
Puccini’s grave on his estate
29th November 1924 in Brussels, Belgium.
A specially built chapel in the grounds of his estate in Torre del Lago, Toscana, Italy.
Type of Music:
Some famous pieces:
- Nessun dorma (None shall sleep), from the opera Turandot. (See below for a video.)
- Un bel dì (One fine day), from the opera Madama Butterfly (Madam Butterfly).
- O mio babbino caro (Oh, my dear papa), from the opera Gianni Schicchi. (See below for a video.)
Some great pieces:
- Manon Lescaut—an opera.
- La Boheme (The Bohemians)—an opera. (See the opera page for an example.)
- Tosca (an opera).
- Madama Butterfly (Madam Butterfly)—an opera.
- Gianni Schicchi—an opera, one of the three operas making up Il trittico (The Triptych).
- Turandot—an opera.
Some interesting facts:
- His music is very popular, especially in Italy.
- His music is full of long and beautiful tunes.
- His operas really are what people imagine operas to be—lots of emotion, lots of women singing very loud and high, and lots of main characters dying at the end!
- Gianni Schicchi is different from his other operas—it’s a comedy!
- His last opera, Turnadot, wasn’t finished when he died. It was finished instead by Franco Alfano.
- He died very rich.
Here is a video of Nessun dorma (None shall sleep) from Puccini’s opera Turandot sung by the famous Luciano Pavarotti.
Nessun dorma from Puccini’s opera ‘Turandot’
And here is a video of O mio babbino caro (Oh, my dear papa) from Puccini’s opera Gianni Schicchi. This opera is a comedy. However this song doesn’t sound very funny. So what’s funny about it? Well, in the opera, the singer is a young woman begging her father to let her have her way. I think this is very funny, because if one of my daughters sang like that, I would give her anything (I hope they don’t read this!!)!
O mio babbino caro from Puccini’s opera ‘Gianni Schicchi’
There is another video of music by Puccini on the following page:
- Giacomo Puccini. This photograph is in the public domain. Click here for the source of this image, along with the relevant copyright information.
- Puccini’s grave on his estate. This photograph was taken by Steven Baldwin. I have obtained permission from him to use it here. Click here for the source of this image.
- Pavarotti “nessun dorma”. Pavarotti “nessun dorma” live in Paris..
- Angela GHEORGHIU – O mio babbino caro – G Schicchi – Puccini. Angela Gheorghiu sings the aria “O mio babbino caro”, from Puccini’s opera ‘Gianni Schicchi’ (Queen Beatrix of The Netherlands Silver Jubilee Concert in Amsterdam, April 29th, 2005)..