Missa Solemnis (Solemn Mass)”;
This page has a list of almost all the composers of classical music mentioned on this website (there might be some composers mentioned only once who aren’t listed here).
Choose the composer you want to know about, then click on the link to go to a page about that composer.
If you don’t know where to start, or would like to know who the great composers are, then click here.
The page for each composer is split into four parts:
- A picture of the composer.
- A box to tell you how to say the composer’s name.
- A ‘fact’ box.
- Two videos of people performing some of the composer’s music.
There might also be third video. If so, this is normally because I have managed to find a video of the composer in person. (This is only possible for composers who were alive well into the last century.)
Most ‘fact’ boxes have the following information about the composer:
- Date of birth.
- Date of death.
- Where the composer is buried.
- A photo of the composer’s grave.
- A list of some famous pieces.
- A list of some great pieces.
- A list of some interesting facts.
Choose the composer you wish to know more about:
- Carl Philipp Emmanuel Bach (1714–1788).
- Johann Sebastian Bach (1685–1750).
- Ludwig van Beethoven (1770–1827).
- Johannes Brahms (1833–1897).
- Benjamin Britten (1913–1976).
- Frédéric Chopin (1810–1849).
- Claude Debussy (1862–1918).
- Philip Glass (1937– ).
- Franz Liszt (1811–1886).
- Gustav Mahler (1860–1911).
- Felix Mendelssohn (1809–1847).
- Olivier Messiaen (1908–1992).
- Claudio Monteverdi (1567–1643).
- Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart (1756–1791).
- Dominico Scarlatti (1685–1757).
- Arnold Schoenberg (1874–1951).
- Franz Schubert (1797–1828).
- Clara Schumann (1819–1896).
- Robert Schumann (1810–1856).
- Dmitri Shostakovich (1906–1975).
- Igor Stravinsky (1882–1971).
- Richard Wagner (1813–1883).
- Ludwig van Beethoven composing the Missa Solemnis (Solemn Mass). This is a painting by Joseph Karl Stieler from 1820 held in the Beethoven Haus in Bonn. The image is in the public domain. Click here for the source of this image, along with the relevant copyright information.