Arturo Sandoval in 1984
6th November 1949 in Artemisa, Havana, Cuba.
- No Problem (1986).
- Straight Ahead (1986).
- I Remember Clifford (1992).
- Danzon (Dance On) (1994).
- Swingin’ for the Fences (2001) [an album by Gordin Goodwin’s ‘The Big Phat Band’].
- Plus many more!
Some interesting facts:
- He is a trumpet player (however he can also play the piano).
- He began his career by playing classical music and was very good at it. However he was always more interested in jazz.
- He has been a great fan of Dizzy Gillespie from an early age.
- He finally met Dizzy Gillespie when Gillespie visited Cuba in 1977. Soon afterwards the two were playing together. (See the Dizzy Gillespie page for a video.)
- Arturo Sandoval learnt a lot about how to play jazz from working with Dizzy Gillespie.
- He often plays the trumpet very quickly. Many people think this is just showing off and not very good music at all. (See below for a video of him playing very quickly.)
- He escaped from Cuba in 1990 when he was on a tour with Dizzy Gillespie. Since then he has lived in Miami, Florida, USA.
- He opened a jazz club at Miami Beach called ‘The Arturo Sandoval Jazz Club’ in 2006. This plays jazz six nights a week. Arturo Sandoval appears there at least once a month.
Arturo Sandoval playing with the United Nations Orchestra
And here’s an inspiring video! In this video, Arturo Sandoval talks about how he began life very poor, but how music changed all that—not just for him, but for his family as well!
Arturo Sandoval talking about what music has done for him
Arturo Sandoval also appears in another video on the following page:
- Arturo Sandoval. This photograph was taken on 27 June 2008 by ataelw. The image is free to use providing one credits the photographer. Click here for the source of this image, along with the relevant copyright information.
- Arturo Sandoval in 1984. This photograph was taken in the Lucerna Music Hall at the 1984 International Jazz Festival in Prague. The image is in the public domain. Click here for the source of this image, along with the relevant copyright information.
- Arturo Sandoval and the United Nations Orchestra. Arturo Sandoval shows his virtuosity with the trumpet at a concert of the United Nation Orchestra at the Royal Festival Hall, London, 1989.
- Arturo Sandoval – Inspiration. In this video, Arturo discusses his inspirations while in studio taping trumpet instructional lessons for StarsTeachMusic. Check out all his lessons at www.starsteachmusic.com.